Nav Bar

Image Map

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

::Married to the Military::

Hey Y'all!

Today I realized that I have never done a post about my experience of being married to a Marine.
Mattie
{Isn't he cute?!?}
The main reason for this is that, until recently, I haven't had a typical "Married to the Military" life. We have been stationed in the same place the whole time Mattie has been in the fleet. He hasn't deployed and other than 6 weeks last year, we haven't been apart. Yes, we were supposed to move to Japan, but plans changed. Honestly, the only  things that have been typical: 
{1} Things constantly change
{2} Mattie works very long hours.
USMC Birthday Ball 2011
Another reason, is that I have never felt as though I am a typical spouse. Before I met Mattie, I always said that I wouldn't date someone in the military. Not because of them {I mean who doesn't love a man in uniform?!?}, but because I didn't think I was strong enough. Long hours, deployments, constantly moving, being away from family, and the list goes on and on. Obviously, that all changed. 
USMC Birthday Ball 2012
When I met Mattie, he was still considering doing a Career in the Marine Corps, but I was head over heels. Over the past couple of years, he has decided to finish his contract, then go to school. Of course I would support him if he wanted to reenlist, but between us, I am slightly relieved.  I have a ton of admiration for anyone who goes into the military and even more for the spouses who have been there beside them for more than one enlistment. I think it takes an extremely strong and special kind of person to be a military spouse.
By special, I mean not controlling {Surprise! I'm a bit of a control freak}. It used to drives me nuts when Mattie has to work super late or is told "No" about vacations and usually without him knowing a solid reason. Just ask my mom, if I was told "No", I wanted to know why? FYI: You don't ask "Why?" in the Marine Corps. I don't think it was until Lennon was born, that I finally was able relinquished control and started accepting what they throw at us.
Mattie packing for a Corporal's "getaway"!
So what did they throw at us? Deployment
We thought since he had less than a year left on his contract, it wasn't going to happen. Well, it is, but I have a sense of calm about it. It's not for too terribly long, considered non-combative and there will hopefully be internet where he is. 
{Now I can't say when and I can't say where... So don't ask!}
Anyways, I'm starting to feel a bit more typical. You might want to check back after he actually leaves to see if this new found strength and understanding is still fully intact. 
USMC Birthday Ball 2013
One thing is for sure, being married to him outweighs ANY negatives that come along with the military. 

No comments:

Post a Comment