Nav Bar

Image Map

Sunday, March 3, 2013

::DIY:: Tinted Mason Jars

Hey Y'all!

Sorry, I have been absent from posting for the past couple of days! It's crazy how much work it has been to start up an Etsy Store and revamp my blog {looks fab right?!?}. Some pages are still under construction, but will be up and running very soon!

Before I get to today's DIY, I have a little announcement! 
The first GIVEAWAY will be when Slightly Brilliant's Facebook Page reaches 200 likes! 
Invite your friends and as it gets closer I will let everyone in on what they will be up for grabs! 

Let's get to it! 
Matte Mod Podge 16 oz. $8, Mason Jar $1.50,  Food Coloring $2
As usual... This is a very easy and in expensive DIY! 
Left: 5 drops of green 5 drops of blue. Right: 8 drops of blue
Mix 1 Tablespoon of water with you food coloring. The brighter/darker you want the tint to be, the more food coloring you want in the mixture. My mixture is about 8-10 drops. 
Pour you mixture into the mason jar.
5 drops red, 4 drops yellow
Add 1 table spoon of Matte Mod Podge. Make sure you have a bowl handy to pour the excess mixture into after swirling.
Lay upside down on paper plates or paper bags, whichever you have handy. Let dry for 30 minutes like this. Heat the oven to the lowest temperature (mine was 170 degrees).
You can tell a slight difference in transparency as it dries.
Place in the oven for  upside down for 15-20 minutes then flip over. I only did mine for 10 minutes and they ended up a bit streaky because the paint was still a little watery.
Bake for another 20-30 minutes right side up.
Like I said the green and red came out a little streaky but if all goes well, they should turn out like the blue! Perfectly tinted!
You can now use your tinted mason jars as candle holders or even as a vase!

Now you have seen how tinting can turn out right and very wrong!

Hope you had an amazing weekend! I know we did! 
Don't forget to get inspired!


1 comment:

  1. Mine came out a little streaky I don't know why other jars I see online look nice and clear

    ReplyDelete